Glossier Review


I like everyone else was surprised and excited when I heard about Glossier. It was created by the same person who created Into The Gloss. And believe me when I say I rushed down to the pop up store in NYC just like everyone else to check it out. And I really really really wanted to like these products. I really did! But this is just my honest opinion on it. I make no money off this, I didn't get any free stuff or anything.


First up is the Soothing Face Mist. You're suppose to spray it on your face after you've washed your face, before you moisturize. This smells of rose, the dead lady funeral home rose smell. I really don't like that smell. But hey if you like the rose smell, go right ahead and enjoy that. But this seriously was not for me. It smelled sour and I couldn't wait to wash it off! I'm not sure if it actually moisturized the skin as these sprays claim to.  But other brands do make a cheaper version.The smell was enough for me to get it off my skin. Price $18


Next up is the Priming Moisturizer. It claims to minimize pores, I have yet to see that happen. But it's a great moisturizer. It says it's build-able, which I do believe. It was very moisturizing, great for winter. The smell isn't that bad, and my skin did feel great afterwards. My only gripe with this is that there is no spf. So it would be great at night, but during the day I would still need to wear a separate SPF.  But if you were going to get anything in this kit, this would be it. Price $25


This is balm dotcom. It's a waxy balm, too waxy and thick and heavy for my face. I could see it being used on the dry patches of skin of your arms and legs. Maybe you lips and definitely your cuticles. It reminds me of Lucas Paw Paw from Australia. (paw paw is a miracle worker if you have a sun rash from the desert just saying)  But I'm one of those people who don't really like putting waxy things on my face or skin. That's just me personally. If you like that stuff go for it. Price $12
Also the first ingredient in this product is Petrolatum aka petroleum jelly. If you're ok with putting that on your face, go ahead. If you're against petroleum jelly, this product is not for you. 


Perfecting Skin Tint. This is suppose to be just a wash of color on your skin. It claims to even out your skin tone and leave it toned and dewy. It comes in 3 shades, and if your skin tone doesn't fall into those categories you're just gonna have to live without this. But this product provides zero to a bare minimum of coverage. A tinted moisturizer would have more coverage than this. It was pretty disappointing. It did nothing for my skin. Nothing. If you need more coverage, this is not your product. And there is NO SPF in this product either. So if you use it, you're going to have to use a separate spf product after. Price $26
Also I noticed in the ingredients for this item that it has Dimethicone, which is a silicone which causes some people to break out. FYI, if you're one of the people who do break out to this, this is definitely not for you. 


You can purchase the entire set for $80 and it comes with stickers, who doesn't like stickers? You can buy the pieces separately online. Shipping will cost you. If you buy the set for $80, shipping is free. You can ONLY buy the set in the pop up shop in NYC. Which doesn't make a lot of sense because people can actually try your product there and realize they don't want the entire set and just one thing and can't buy it. Where is the logic in that? (yes that was a really long run on sentence) 

This set is basically for someone who has ideally great skin to begin with. Someone who doesn't need that much coverage on their skin. Someone who doesn't need to hide the imperfections on their skin, or their acne or their scars, etc. If you have great skin that needs little foundation (think Winona Ryder in the early 1990's) then this line is great for you. For the rest of us we have to look elsewhere. 

Also I get that they're trying to go for the dewy look that most Korean skincare brands have already done. Since I live in NYC I have access to those Korean brands. If you want that dewy look check out Skinfoods, Nature's Republic, Amore Pacific, Face Shop, to name a few. Most of them will tell you that you will need to make sure your skin is moisturized, and every serum, essence, lotion, cream, will add another layer of moisture to you skin. And then you can use a highlighter to top it all off. But do be aware there is a line between dewy and looking greasy. 

EDIT: added 10/28/14 I learned that now at the pop up shop you can just buy pieces and not the whole set. Feel free to try them out at the store before buying. 



5 stalkers:

Mondamin Bell said...

Thank you very much for this review! After reading this review, I am definitely not purchasing their products.

Kasey said...

Oooh I live in NY and I would love to know where you're able to get those Korean brands. I typically try to snag Face Shop products on ebay but it typically takes about two-three weeks for me to get the items. Not exactly ideal.

Thanks for this post! I wish I would have found it before I ordered the skin tint online. :(

Chelsea Greenwood said...

Thanks for this. I would love if you did an intro to Korean beauty products available in the states for us noobs!

brittany. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diana Cloudlet said...

Your blog is just so awesome and beautiful! I like this post and you make a great job!
I’ll return later to see a new one!

Diana Cloudlet
http://www.dianacloudlet.com/