Guinness Cupcakes anyone?


I've made these cupcakes a couple of times already, I made some last night and damn, all the boys came out for these. These are some manly cupcakes. I mean you can't go wrong with beer in your cupcakes right? So here I will share with you the recipe.



The first I ever heard about the Guinness cupcakes was from the ebil Wil Wheaton, yes he was twittering about them, and I was like hmmm Guinness cupcakes? So I did a google of them, and found a bunch of different recipes, but I liked the one from Confessions of a Tart. I ended up using her recipe cause she had the Guinness cupcake, jameson chocolate ganache, and the bailey's frosting. I used a different recipe for the frosting. Someone said to me, wow its like an irish car bomb. Yes irish car bomb cupcakes! Brilliant! I will be selling irish car bomb cupcakes next to the kid with the lemonade stand!


The first time I tried this recipient I ended up using guinness in a bottle, yes a bottle. And it was the Draught one. After making this the first time, I really couldn't taste the guinness, it to me was just a chocolate cupcake. So the 2nd time I made it I used the Extra Stout one, and instead of 1 cup I used the entire bottle. That right there changed the recipe, and it made the batter more watery. I ended up having to bake it a bit longer than the original recipe stated, use those toothpicks ladies!

here's the recipe from Confessions of a Tart

For the Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes

1 cup stout (such as Guinness)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

Ganache Filling
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 to 2 teaspoons Irish whiskey (optional)

Baileys Frosting --> I did NOT use this recipe for the frosting! But you may use this one if you wish.
3 to 4 cups confections sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 to 4 tablespoons Baileys (or milk, or heavy cream, or a combination thereof)



And here is my step by step process.




Here are all the ingredients. Domo is ready for cupcakes!




Pour your extra stouty Guinness into a pot, the recipe states 1 cup, but I use the whole thing, cause after a cup is poured in, there ain't a lot left to drink. 




You should slice up your sticks of butter so they melt better and faster into the stout. Yes we're heating this up!  *does witch impression* "Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble."


Add in the unsweetened coco powder. No this is NOT hot chocolate people. You need to get unsweetened coco powder. I don't like the Hersey's one cause it tastes like Herseys and that don't sit right in a beer cupcake. I just the Ghilardi coco powder instead. I picked up mine at Target. But feel free to use whatever you want. So once you've mixed it in smooth, turn off the heat and set it aside off the burner on another burner that not on and let it cool.


Mix together your dry ingredients.  Follow the recipe. Set the flour mixture aside. They're gonna chill on the side much like boyfriends sitting in the clothing store while their gfs are trying on clothes.


 In your mixer, throw in the large eggs and sour cream. If you're doing this by hand, go out and get a mixer it will make your life so much easier. I love this kitchen aid mixer. Damn I love it! I can't imagine baking without it. No kitchen aid is not paying me to say this, I'm just saying how awesome their mixer is. But Kitchen Aid feel free to send me accessories and attachments for the blender, so i can make sausages and juice stuff. Just saying!


I told you this mixer is awesome. It doesn't take very long to mix the stuff together.


So you're gonna take your beer mixture and pour it into the egg mixture while the mixer is on. hopefully the beer mixture won't your eggs into scrambled eggs. Now would be a good time not to have the mixer on high. Then add in your flour mixture. (I don't know why I have wisk attachment on instead of the paddle)


Line your cupcakes! I love my 24 cupcake tin, I got mine at the williams and sonoma outlet. It saves me so much time cause I can do the whole batch.


Fill your cupcakes! I do mine a little bit more than 3/4 cause there's more liquid in there. Plus I like them to have a nice dome shape.


I have a thermometer inside the oven cause the temp you set it for is not always the temperature you get. The oven that I use apparently is 5-10 degrees off. I also have to bake the cupcakes longer cause I used more stout. I always check with a toothpick, and I try to rotate if I remember. I bake on the middle rack, move the racks so its in the middle ppl! But they're done pretty fast. Take them out and let them cool!


Do not try to eat them right now, they are hot! That means you too Domo!


Let's get on the ganache now. While your cupcakes are cooling, heat up some heavy cream. Yes heavy cream people!


Now throw the bittersweet chocolate into a heatproof bowl. I used Ghilardi 60% coca baking chips. Its bittersweet. I like Ghilardi chocolate cause its not as sweet as hersey's. You don't need a sweet chocolate cause its a ganache that will go inside the cupcake. You don't want to overpower it.


The recipe says pour your heated heavy cream into the bowl with the chocolate and let sit for a minute. Your butter should be room temperature cause you're gonna throw it in here too. Usually I just start mixing once the heavy cream goes in. Don't get freaked cause it'll look nasty for a bit, like when you mix chocolate powder into milk, you gotta work it a bit. The chocolate will smooth out and you add the butter and the jameson.


I usually add 1 teaspoon of Jameson, and most guys say they can taste it.  I have also use the Godiva chocolate liquor too. The godiva is less harsh and seems to be a hit with the ladies. But do taste the ganache, see if the jameson or whatever liquor you used is palatable. Set it aside and let it cool.

I used a different frosting. The recipe on Confessions of a Tart is an american buttercream. The one I use is a pastry cream type buttercream, and takes more effort but tastes lighter and fluffier. When I make the chocolate version of this it seriously tastes like ice cream.

The recipe is from the Cakelove guy. Go buy his book! He explains why he chooses certain ingredients, how these ingredients interact with each other, the chemistry behind it and all that good stuff. Plus he has great recipes on baking, fillings, ganach, syrups, frostings, etc. It was one of my first baking books and I find myself constantly going back to his book. He was a lawyer before opening up his bakery, so please don't sue me, I make no money and I have no money!

Bailey's Pastry Cream Buttercream Frosting
Yolk Mixture
3 large yolks
1 oz sugar
1 teaspoon potato starch

Milk Mixture
1 cup whole milk
6 oz sugar

Butter & Such
2 sticks chilled butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-3 tablespoons Baileys
1-2 tablespoons heavy cream


You're going to separate out the  yolks from the whites. You can make yourself an egg white omelet later if you want. We just want the yolks. yes I know i have more yolks here, but I doubled the recipe in this instance. If you don't have large eggs you can use medium ones, I just put in an extra yolk. Add the rest of the ingredients for the yolk mixture. I should add the bowl should be heatproof.


Pour the milk and sugar into a pot or a heavy saucepan. You're going to bring it to a boil over med-high heat.

This part there are no pictures because ideally it would be great to have 2 ppl do this. Course sometimes you don't get that so you'll have to think quick. When doing this process you CANNOT STOP. That means your cell phone will ring. Your messenger will go off and you'll just have to ignore it. You CANNOT stop in this process. Otherwise you will have to start over again.

Place a towel under your bowl for the yolk mixture. If you have 2 ppl, one of you will pour the milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture while the other one mixes the yolk mixture. The person mixing the yolk mixture CANNOT stop. If you do you're gonna make scrambled eggs. You pour a little of the milk mixture, slowly incorporating it into the egg yolk mixture. DO NOT pour it all in at once. Slowly pour the milk in until its fully incorporated. Keep mixing. Then pour the mixture back into the pot. Put the pot over medium heat, whisking constantly but not fast. You are trying to keep the pastry cream moving so you don't scorch the bottom. Keep mixing.

Clearly doing this as one person is a pain. You have to keep mixing and pour a little bit at a time. The first time I did it alone, i got egg bits in my frosting. But you get better as you make more. Trust me. You'll get better.

You're still mixing! You should see lava bubbles forming. Large bubbles that burst and steam come out. When you see that, reduce the heat to low, then whisk fast for 1 min. Work those arm muscles.

After that pour the pastry cream into your mixer. Yes you need a mixer for this part, otherwise you're just screwed. Use the wire whisk attachment, whip the pastry cream on high for 5 min or so till its cooled to room temperature. Yes high, don't get freaked out. You can now answer your txt, cell phone, vm, messenger and twitter now.

Come back and check on your frosting. Touch the bowl to see if its cooled or not. Cut up the 2 sticks of butter into 1 tablespoon portion, the butter should have it printed on the label. They should be chilled, not room temperature, and your mixture should be room temperature other wise you're gonna melt the butter and its gonna be gross.


Reduce your mixer speed to med-low and add the butter in 1 tablespoon at a time. Then add in the vanilla extract. If you're watching your frosting you should see that it should have fluffed up a bit. Add the bailey's. I personally add 3 table spoons in. But it is to your taste. Taste the frosting, but don't use your finger. Add the heavy cream, I usually add 1, but again its to your own personal taste. Let the mixer go on medium speed for a min or until smooth, you'll know when its ready.

If you haven't realized it, yes frosting is just a lot of sugar and butter. But you're gonna eat it regardless. This frosting acts up when its humid, so don't try it in the middle of summer or when its raining. Also you have to refrigerate this frosting because its butter and also because it will melt and get oozy fast if its hot.

Time to put it all together!


I bought some piping tips, which are totally awesome btw. I used the tip to hallow out the middle for the ganache. You can use an apple corer, or even a knife. It doesn't have to be perfect cause you're gonna cover it in frosting, its just faster and easier when you have a tool.


There's your stouty cupcake and you get to taste it from the part you hallowed out.


You can fill ur cupcake anyway you want. You can use a spoon, but I like to use my piping tip.


I just put it inside a ziplock bag and fill the bag with the ganach and squeeze it into the cupcake and move onto the next one. Don't worry about getting it totally perfect, the frosting will cover it.


I did same thing with the frosting. I used a different tip and squeezed the frosting on, covering the ganache hole. After frosting so many you get the hang of it. I used the piping bag cause I was lazy and it made the cupcake look prettier. Plus I can never get the swirl on top right.

I make these for friends, mostly guys, cause they will come out of nowhere to eat them. I suppose these are manly cupcakes. Ladies if you do make these for your man, make sure he appreciates it.

6 stalkers:

M.A.C.nunu said...

OHMIGOODNESS!
That looks like an insane amount of work! If I make this, I'd better get something expensive in return xD
They look so damn good, unfortunately I am utterly useless when it comes to baking.
Can I order a dozen to be sent to Mapleland?xD

alien man?! said...

Beautiful!! They look so dark, rich and moist. I will take a dozen!

rasilla said...

thats actually pretty cool~
and i hadn't thought of using the piping tip to hollow out a bit of the cake...so thats something new for me :)
thanks for sharing XD i sooo wanna make those right now...but i lack the ingredients :P

Aradani said...

mmm i'm hungry now! I tried making earl grey tea cupcakes a few weeks ago and that was a lot of work. this recipe looks awesome. I want to make it for friends sometime.

Jimin said...

this recipe looks like SOOOO much work but I'm planning to make it for my boyfriends birthday in about 2 months? yes this sounds like excessive planning but yeah these cupcakes just look THAT damn good! i've been making cupcakes from boxed mixes and boxed icing so do you think i should practice this waaaay ahead of time? and approximately how long did the WHOLE process take? I'm thinking of making the cupcakes a day (or 2 if it's okay) before and chilling them??

thanks for sharing! seriously i hope he'll love these haha.

<3jimin

Scientist said...

I have to try this, yet another way to love Guinness :)