Benihana

I'm sure at some point in time we've all been to a benihana to watch the tricks and mini show at the hibachi grill, how they do tricks and build a volcano. Well today is a sad day. Rocky Aoki, founder of Benihana died Thursday after complications of cancer. Its a sad day indeed. For an immigrant who came to the states because he was able to get on the japanese olympic wrestling team, who served ice cream during the day and took restaurant management classes at night and opened his first restaurant in the early 1950's and survived through racism, food critics and regan economics, he did pretty well for himself. He made an empire for himself, not a huge one but a decent size one combing food and entertainment together. I did find Benihana amusing to go to, a bit on the pricy side, but amusing. And so this is a sad day as we remember him.... food can be fun!




p.s. yes his daughter is devon aoki, the girl from 2 fast 2 furious and sin city, yes she's trying to act. key word trying...

4 stalkers:

Fei said...

I like Devon Aoki... still. No acting please. :p

You can count me out of those who've been to Benihana. I have yet to set foot in there! But I have been to restaurants with similar hibachi grill shows back in Asia. Not the greatest thing on earth, but I agree it's amusing.

jie jie said...

That's sad, but he must have lived a full life. I'm impressed at his accomplishments. I haven't been to benihana either. Mostly because the reviews point towards other restaurants.

spankedelic said...

i've never been to bennihana but my dad worked at one a loooooong time ago =) i've been to hibachi style grills. they were okay. the food was alright. nothing too special =) i hope my swap goes okay! do you swap much. perhaps all of us blogger ladies should list items we want to swap and swap on blogger. lol. i'd definitely swap with you ladies over makeup alley any day!

ChyiX2 said...

Slaps forehead* Hahaha! "Key word trying..." oh dear, I think it's great that LancĂ´me used her as a model and that asians get more exposure, still I don't think she's that pretty actually, there are many full-blooded asians that are prettier and her mother is english/german or something like that. I agree...I think I could act better than her...and I don't act!